I am so excited to get things growing!
First, I placed the seeds in plastic baggies with wet paper towels for 24 hours to soak. This helps weaken the seed's thick outer layer and get it ready to germinate!
Lily finds the organic fertilizer interesting... most likely because it has chicken manure in it.
Along with soil, I added peat moss and organic mushroom compost, with a little organic fertilizer mixed in. Here, you can see that I used garden twine to separate each box where different plants will be growing, and I also went ahead and put in some stakes for the plants that will need support. (I will need two more stakes.) Basically, all of the big plants are along the back row: tomato, eggplant, peppers, and peas. When these plants get big enough I will train them up the stake to save space.
Here, I have planted the tomato and strawberry plants, and am placing the soaked seeds in the soil. I put two seeds for each plant I am expecting to grow, just in case one is a "dud." I will eventually remove the seedling that is the smallest, keeping the healthiest of the two.
Lily is helping, and wondering what in the world I am doing with chicken poop. She's okay with it. :)
See you next time!